Monday, October 1, 2007

Breakfast Time


This breakfast has many names: Eggs in a Basket (this is the one we use) Eggs in a Hole, Eggs and Toast, etc. My mom made this for us many many times growing up. When we got up she would ask each of us how many we wanted. Then she turned on her griddle and started cooking. The recipe is very simple and the ingredients are normally on hand.


Ingredients

bread (1 piece of bread for each egg)

eggs (1 egg for each piece of bread)

butter

salt and papper to taste


Directions

Butter each piece of bread, both sides. Next, with a cookie cutter, cut out a hole in the middle of each piece of bread. You can use a glass if you don't have a cookie cutter. I think the shape adds a little fun to breakfast though. Then, put your pieces of bread onto your griddle or skillet. Place a piece of butter in the hole to melt. Once melted, crack an egg open into the hole. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. When it looks like it's cooked enough to flip over, flip it over. You can kinda poke the yolk to see when it's done. Here is a picture of our griddle yesterday morning.

7 comments:

Nikki57 said...

OMG those look AMAZING!!

CB said...

those are way too pretty to eat! Love it! ::stealing for my blog::

Carrie said...

These are so cute I can hardly take it!

Rhonda said...

Hello NinaBeth!
these bring back lots of memories when I cooked these for you and your brothers before school.

Mrs. Nateq said...

That looks so yummy! I remember making those for my little girls. Sometimes the cut out would be a heart or lips or just a circle, but no matter the shape the girls loved them and I loved making them for the girls....I think that's what I'll have for supper!

Nan said...

This is a wonderful idea, and I love the way you bring your growing-up-life into your married life. Congratulations on your wedding!

Deborah said...

My husband absolutely loves these things. He always asks me to make them, for some reason whenever he has the munchies late at night. The heart cutout is such a cute idea! :)